Agricultural service contractors, who own and operate their own businesses, provide agricultural services such as livestock and poultry breeding, soil preparation, crop planting, crop spraying, cultivating or harvesting. Farm supervisors supervise the work of general farm workers and harvesting labourers. Specialized livestock workers carry out feeding, health and breeding programs on dairy, beef, sheep, poultry, hog and other livestock farms.
Agricultural service contractors
- Provide agricultural livestock services such as artificial insemination, spraying or shearing of livestock or disinfecting pens, barns or poultry houses
- Provide agricultural crop services such as plowing, irrigating, cultivating, spraying or harvesting
- Assist in the development and implementation of farm safety and bio-security procedures
- Hire and train workers
- Negotiate the terms of services to be provided
- Maintain financial and operational records
- May participate in the provision of services or in the operation of machinery and equipment.
- Co-ordinate and supervise the work of general farm workers and harvesting labourers
- Supervise and oversee breeding and other livestock-related programs
- Supervise and oversee growing and other crop-related operations
- Develop work schedules and establish procedures
- Ensure farm safety and bio-security procedures are followed
- Maintain quality control and production records
- May perform general farm duties.
Specialized livestock workers
- Formulate feeding programs
- Implement pasture or pen breeding programs
- Follow safety and bio-security procedures
- Recognize and treat certain livestock health problems
- Maintain livestock performance records
- Select livestock for sale
- Train horses
- Perform general farm duties
- May supervise general farm workers.
* Farm supervisors may specialize in areas such as dairy, poultry, swine, beef, sheep, equine, fruit, vegetable, mixed or other specialty farming.
* Specialized livestock workers usually specialize in one type of farm animal such as beef cattle, dairy cattle, poultry or swine.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
- Gestion et technologies d'entreprise agricole
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Technologie de la production horticole et de l'environnement
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: