Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers, retail and wholesale, prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale in retail or wholesale food establishments. They are employed in supermarkets, grocery stores, butcher shops and fish stores or may be self-employed. Butchers who are supervisors or heads of departments are included in this group.
- Cut, trim, and otherwise prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale at self-serve counters or according to customers' orders
- Grind meats and slice cooked meats using powered grinders and slicing machines
- Prepare special displays of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish
- Shape, lace and tie roasts and other meats, poultry or fish and may wrap prepared meats, poultry, fish and shellfish
- Manage inventory, keep records of sales and determine amount, product line and freshness of products according to company and customer requirements
- Ensure food storage conditions are adequate
- May supervise other butchers, or meat cutters or fishmongers.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: