Cashiers operate cash registers, optical price scanners, computers or other equipment to record and accept payment for the purchase of goods, services and admissions. They are employed in stores, restaurants, theatres, recreational and sports establishments, currency exchange booths, government offices, business offices and other service, retail and wholesale establishments.
- Greet customers
- Establish or identify price of goods, services or admission and tabulate total payment required using electronic or other cash register, optical price scanner or other equipment
- Weigh produce and bulk foods
- Receive and process payments by cash, cheque, credit card or automatic debit
- Wrap or place merchandise in bags
- Provide information to customers
- Assist sports spectators and theatre patrons with seat selection
- Calculate foreign currency exchange
- Calculate total payments received at end of work shift and reconcile with total sales
- Verify the age of customers when selling lottery tickets, alcohol or tobacco products
- May accept reservations and take-out orders
- May also stock shelves and clean check-out counter area.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec