Chemical technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in chemical engineering, chemical and biochemical research and analysis, industrial chemistry, chemical quality control and environmental protection. They are employed by research and development and quality control laboratories, consulting engineering companies, in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and a variety of other manufacturing and processing industries, and by utilities, health, educational and government establishments.
- Set up and conduct chemical experiments, tests and analyses using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, physical and chemical separation techniques and microscopy
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus and prepare solutions of gas or liquid, reagents, and sample formulations
- Compile records and interpret experimental or analytical results
- Develop and conduct programs of sampling and analysis to maintain quality standards of raw materials, chemical intermediates and products
- Assist in the development of chemical engineering processes, studies of chemical engineering procurement, construction, inspection and maintenance and the development of standards, procedures and health and safety measures
- Operate experimental chemical or petrochemical pilot plants
- Conduct or assist in air and water quality testing and assessments, environmental monitoring and protection activities, and development of and compliance with standards
- Assist in synthesis of small molecules for the purpose of creating drug candidates
- Assist in the design and fabrication of experimental apparatus.
- Assist in setting up and conducting chemical experiments, tests and analyses
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus and prepare solutions of gas and liquid, reagents and sample formulations
- Compile records for analytical studies
- Assist in developing and conducting programs of sampling and analysis to maintain quality standards
- Carry out a limited range of other technical functions in support of chemical research, tests and analyses, and environmental air and water quality monitoring and protection
- Assist in the design and fabrication of experimental apparatus.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
analytical chemistry technician; analytical chemistry technologist; analytical technician, chemical; assistant, laboratory - applied chemistry; biochemistry laboratory technician; biochemistry laboratory technologist; biochemistry technician (except medical); biochemistry technologist; biochemistry technologist (except medical); brewery technician; brewery technician - applied chemistry; cellulose film solutions tester; chemical analysis specialist; chemical analyst; chemical engineering technician; chemical engineering technologist; chemical laboratory analyst; chemical laboratory supervisor; chemical laboratory technician; chemical laboratory technologist; chemical process analyst; chemical process technologist; chemical processing quality control technician; chemical processing quality control technologist; chemical products quality control technologist; chemical research technician; chemical research technologist; chemical technician; chemical technician - heavy water plant and nuclear generating station; chemical technician, NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance); chemical technician, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR); chemical technologist; compressed gases tester; documents examiner - applied chemistry; dyeing and finishing technician; dyeing and finishing technologist; dyeing technician; food processing quality control technician; food processing quality control technologist; food technician; food technologist; forensic examiner - alcohol; forensic lab analyst, chemical; forensic laboratory technician; forest products technologist; formulation technician; fuel technician; gas chromatographer; geochemical technician; geochemical technologist; handwriting expert, forensic; home economics technologist; industrial hygiene technologist; inspector, pharmaceuticals; laboratory assistant - applied chemistry; laboratory technician, chemical; laboratory technologist, chemical; laboratory tester; laboratory tester - pulp and paper; laboratory tester, chemical processing; mass spectrometer technician; mass spectrometer technologist; mass spectrometry technician; master dyer - textiles; NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) chemical technician; nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) chemical technician; paint technician; petrochemical engineering technician; petrochemical engineering technologist; petrochemical laboratory technologist; petroleum processing tester; petroleum research technologist; pharmaceuticals and toiletries inspector; pharmaceuticals inspector; pilot plant technician; pilot plant technologist; plastics and synthetic resins technician; polymers tester; quality control technician - chemical processing; quality control technician - chemistry; quality control technician - food processing; quality control technologist - chemical processing; quality control technologist - food processing; quality control technologist, chemical products; research technologist, petroleum; spectroscopic technologist; spectroscopist; synthetic textiles technician; technician, biochemistry (except medical); technician, chemical engineering; technician, chemical processing quality control; technician, dyeing; technician, food; technician, food processing quality control; technician, formulation; technician, mass spectrometer; technician, mass spectrometry; technician, paints; technician, petrochemical engineering; technician, pilot plant; technician, plastics and synthetic resins; technician, synthetic textiles; technician, textile dyes; technologist, analytical chemistry; technologist, biochemistry; technologist, biochemistry (except medical); technologist, biochemistry laboratory; technologist, chemical engineering; technologist, chemical processing quality control; technologist, chemical products quality control; technologist, dyeing and finishing; technologist, food; technologist, food processing quality control; technologist, forest products; technologist, home economics; technologist, industrial hygiene; technologist, petrochemical engineering; technologist, petrochemical laboratory; technologist, petroleum research; technologist, pilot plant; technologist, quality control of chemical products; test analyst, titanium pigments; tester, cellulose film solutions; tester, compressed gases; tester, petroleum; tester, polymers; textile colour technologist; textile dye technician; textile dyeing technician; water purification technician.