Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection. They are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries.
Civil engineering technologists
- Develop engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts and sketches
- Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials
- May supervise, monitor and inspect construction projects.
Civil engineering technicians
- Assist in developing engineering specifications and drawings
- Participate in field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Perform other technical functions in support of civil engineering activities.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Civil Engineering Technology
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
agricultural engineering technician; air pollution field technician; architectural and engineering technologists and technicians supervisor; bridge design technician; building materials technician; civil engineering design technologist; civil engineering studies technologist; civil engineering technician; civil engineering technologist; concrete technician; construction engineering technician; construction requirements writer; construction specifications writer; construction technician; construction technician - civil engineering; construction technologist; design technologist, civil engineering; environmental technician; field technician, air pollution; foundation technologist; highway construction materials testing technician; highway technician; highway traffic technician; land use technician; materials testing technician; materials testing technologist; measures technician; municipal engineering assistant; noise abatement technician; noise reduction technician; pollution control technician; railway technician; road technician; road traffic technician; soil technologist - civil engineering; soil testing technologist; soil testing technologist - civil engineering; solid waste disposal technician; specifications writer, construction; structural design technologist; structural engineering technician; structural investigator; supervisor, architectural and engineering technologists and technicians; technician, agricultural engineering; technician, bridge design; technician, building materials; technician, civil engineering; technician, concrete; technician, construction; technician, construction engineering; technician, environmental; technician, highway; technician, highway traffic; technician, materials testing; technician, noise abatement; technician, noise reduction; technician, pollution control; technician, railway; technician, road traffic; technician, solid waste disposal; technician, structural engineering; technician, urban planning; technician, water distribution systems; technologist, civil engineering; technologist, civil engineering studies; technologist, construction; technologist, materials testing; technologist, soil testing; technologist, structural design; technologist, traffic; testing technician, highway construction materials; traffic technician - civil engineering; traffic technologist; urban planning technician; water distribution systems technician.