Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection. They are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries.
Each profession is associated with a combination of three initial letters corresponding to one of the six RIASEC profiles. Profile combinations are determined based on skills, fields of interest and certain personality traits.
Civil engineering technologists
- Develop engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts and sketches
- Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials
- May supervise, monitor and inspect construction projects.
Civil engineering technicians
- Assist in developing engineering specifications and drawings
- Participate in field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Perform other technical functions in support of civil engineering activities.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Civil Engineering Technology
To register for Civil engineering Technology:
- Cégep André-Laurendeau (French only)
- Cégep Beauce-Appalaches (French only)
- Cégep de Baie-Comeau (French only)
- Cégep de Chicoutimi (French only)
- Cégep de l'Abitibi-Témiscamingue (French onlyt)
- Cégep de l'Outaouais (French only)
- Cégep de Rimouski (French only)
- Cégep de Sherbrooke (French only)
- Cégep de St-Hyacinthe (French only)
- Cégep de Trois-Rivières (French only)
- Cégep Limoilou (French only)
- Cégep Montmorency (French only)
- Cégep régional de Lanaudière à Joliette (French only)
- Dawson College (www.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Montréal