Construction trades helpers and labourers
Help skilled workers and perform manoeuvring tasks in construction sites, quarries and surface mines.
Rain or shine, you like working in the field and your efficiency makes you a sought-after professional on the site. Your dexterity is a key skill for this job, as is your physical endurance, your precision and your sense of responsibility.
Construction trades helpers and labourers assist skilled tradespersons and perform labouring activities at construction sites, in quarries and in surface mines. They are employed by construction companies, trade and labour contractors, and surface mine and quarry operators.
- Load and unload construction materials, and move materials to work areas
- Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks, shoring and barricades required at construction sites
- Mix, pour and spread materials such as concrete and asphalt
- Assist tradespersons such as carpenters, bricklayers, cement finishers, roofers and glaziers in construction activities
- Assist heavy equipment operators to secure special attachments to equipment, signal operators to guide them in moving equipment and provide assistance in other activities
- Assist in aligning pipes and perform related activities during oil and gas pipeline construction
- Assist in drilling and blasting rock at construction sites
- Assist miners in excavating and in setting up and operating various drills and other surface mining machinery
- Level earth to fine grade specifications using rake and shovel
- Assist in demolishing buildings using prying bars and other tools, and sort, clean and pile salvaged materials
- Remove rubble and other debris at construction sites using rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows and other equipment
- Operate pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers as directed
- Tend or feed machines or equipment used in construction such as mixers, compressors and pumps
- Clean up chemical spills and other contaminants, and remove asbestos and other hazardous materials
- Oil and grease hoists and similar equipment
- Direct traffic at or near construction sites
- Perform other activities at construction sites, as directed.
No secondary, college or university-level programs of study are indexed for this trade or occupation.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: