Contractors and supervisors in construction
Supervise and coordinate teams of trade contractors working in construction, including in masonry, roofing, plastering and painting. Whether you’re a contractor operating your own business or a supervisor, oversee the efficient running and productivity of sites and projects under your care.
This unit group includes roofing, masonry, painting and other construction trade contractors, not elsewhere classified, who own and operate their own business. Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of various tradespersons, installers, repairers and servicers classified in the following minor groups: Masonry and Plastering Trades (728), Other Construction Trades (729) and Other Installers, Repairers and Servicers (744). They are employed by a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the unit group descriptions. This unit group also includes prefabricated product installation and service contractors and proprietors of some repair and service establishments.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of construction workers engaged in bricklaying, roofing, cement finishing, tilesetting, plastering, drywall installation, glazing, insulating and painting, and workers who install and service prefabricated products in residential and commercial properties, as well as workers who repair a wide variety of products, such as musical instruments, sports equipment, vending machines, bicycles and cameras
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other subcontractors
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare work progress reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: