Contractors and supervisors in machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades
Manage and coordinate teams working in the sheet metal, ironwork, welding and boilermaking trades. You’re fluent in all things metal, whether on a building site or in a manufacturing plant.
This unit group includes sheet metal, ironwork, welding and boilermaking trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Machinists and Machining and Tooling Inspectors (7231), Tool and Die Makers (7232), Sheet Metal Workers (7233), Boilermakers (7234), Structural Metal and Platework Fabricators and Fitters (7235), Ironworkers (7236), Welders and Related Machine Operators (7237) and Machining Tool Operators (9417). They are employed by structural, platework and related metal products fabrication, manufacturing and erecting companies and machine shops.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who shape, form and join metal parts or products to specified dimensions, machine metal into parts, products, tools and dies or moulds with precise measurements and erect light and heavy metal products and structures
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare production and other reports
- Set up machines and equipment and write programs for computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools
- May manage the operations of their own companies
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, machine operators, helpers and labourers.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Québec