Court reporters and medical transcriptionists
Record and transcribe the deliberations of courts, legislative assemblies or even information dictated by doctors and other health professionals.
Faster than your shadow, are you simultaneously reliable, meticulous and curious to learn more about law or medicine? You would make a stellar stenographer or transcriber.
Court reporters record and transcribe verbatim the proceedings of courts, legislative assemblies and committees, and prepare transcripts for use by judges, tribunals and quasi-judicial panels. They are employed by courts of law, provincial and federal legislative assemblies and committees, or they may be self-employed. Medical transcriptionists record, transcribe and edit dictation by physicians and other health care providers, surgical proceedings, health-related reports and other medical documentation. They are employed by hospitals, medical clinics and doctors' offices, or they may be self-employed. Closed captioners and other transcriptionists are included in this unit group.
- Record verbatim proceedings of courtroom using electronic stenograph machine or stenomask
- Respond to requests during court sessions to read back verbatim evidence
- Transcribe recorded proceedings in accordance with established formats
- Verify accuracy of transcripts by checking copy against original record of proceedings and accuracy of rulings by checking with judge
- Research and locate quotes to ensure accuracy
- Respond to requests for transcripts ordered by judges, lawyers or the public
- File and store shorthand notes of court session.
- Transcribe recorded dictation in accordance with established formats or written documentation from medical reports, correspondence, health records and patient information
- Proofread work for typographical and grammatical errors
- Edit transcripts for missing or incorrect content and formatting.
ATTESTATIONS OF VOCATIONS STUDIES (AVS)Secretarial Studies-Medical
ATTESTATIONS OF COLLEGIAL STUDIES (ACS)Sténographie judiciaire
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: