Electrical mechanics maintain, test, rebuild and repair electric motors, transformers, switchgear and other electrical apparatus. They are employed by independent electrical repair shops, service shops of electrical equipment manufacturers and maintenance departments of manufacturing companies.
- Test and observe electrical, electronic and mechanical components and systems using testing and measuring instruments
- Troubleshoot and repair electric motors, transformers, switchgear, generators and other electro-mechanical equipment
- Replace or recondition shafts, bearings, commutators and other components
- Wind, assemble and install various types of coils for electric motors or transformer
- Perform static or dynamic balancing of armatures or rotors by welding, brazing or soldering electrical connections and by aligning and adjusting parts
- Test and repair or replace faulty wiring or components in electrical switchgear
- Test repaired motors, transformers, switchgear or other electrical apparatus to ensure proper performance
- Perform some machining to recondition or modify shafts, commutators or other parts
- Perform on-site servicing and repair.
* Electrical mechanics may specialize in working with certain types of apparatus, such as electric motors or transformers, or in performing certain functions, such as winding coils.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
armature repairman woman; armature winder repairer; automotive-generator and starter repairer; circuit breaker mechanic; coil connector repairer; coil winder and repairer; electric meter repairer; electric meter repairer apprentice; electric meter technician; electric motor mechanic; electric motor repairer; electric motor repairer and tester; electric motor repairer-tester; electric motor repairman woman; electric motor systems technician; electric motor winder; electric motor winder-repairer; electrical apparatus mechanic; electrical equipment mechanic trainee; electrical instrument mechanic; electrical mechanic; electrical mechanic - electrical utilities; electrical mechanic (except avionics); electrical mechanic apprentice; electrical mechanic trainee; electrical mechanic, meter repair; electrical mechanic, switchgear repair; electrical mechanics group leader; electrical mechanics lead hand; electrical motor coil winder-repairer; electrical rewind mechanic; electrical transformer repairer; generator repairer; generator repairman woman; group leader, electrical mechanics; high-voltage power transformer repairer; industrial coil winder-repairer; industrial motor winder-repairer; lead hand, electrical mechanics; mechanic, circuit breaker; mechanic, electric motors; motor coil winder-repairer; power transformer repairer; power transformer repairman woman; repairer, coil connectors; repairer, electric meter; repairer, electric motor; repairer, electrical instruments; repairer, storage battery; repairman woman, electric motor; repairman woman, power transformers; repairman woman, transformers; storage battery repairer; transformer coil repairer; transformer repairer; transformer repairman woman; winder, electric motors; winder-electrician; winder-repairer, industrial motors.