Electrical power line and cable workers
Install, maintain and repair overhead and underground electricity transmission and distribution networks.
Heights don’t scare you, you are in good physical condition and you like to work outside. Skilled with your hands, you are also versatile and capable of performing precision tasks. Of course, safety remains a priority for you.
Electrical power line and cable workers construct, maintain and repair overhead and underground electrical power transmission and distribution systems. They are employed by electric power generation, transmission and distribution companies, electrical contractors and public utility commissions.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair electrical distribution and transmission systems including overhead and underground power lines and cables, insulators, conductors, lightning arrestors, switches, transformers and other associated equipment
- Erect and maintain steel, wood or concrete poles, towers and guy wires
- Splice, solder and insulate conductors and related wiring to connect power distribution and transmission networks using splicing tools, related electrical equipment and tools
- Inspect and test overhead and underground power lines and cables and auxiliary equipment using electrical test equipment
- Climb ladders or operate hydraulic buckets when working aloft on poles and towers, or work in confined spaces such as trenches and tunnels to install power lines and cables and associated equipment
- Install and maintain street lighting systems
- Communicate with other workers to co-ordinate the preparation and completion of work assignments.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: