Elevator constructors and mechanics assemble, install, maintain and repair freight and passenger elevators, escalators, moving walkways and other related equipment. They are employed by elevator construction and maintenance companies.
- Read and interpret blueprints to determine layout of system components
- Perform preparatory construction work including steel work, wiring and piping
- Install elevators, escalators, moving walkways, dumbwaiters and related equipment according to specifications
- Connect car frames to counterweights with cables and assemble elevator cars
- Install and wire electric and electronic control system devices
- Install, test and adjust safety control devices
- Test operation of newly installed equipment
- Troubleshoot electrical or mechanical systems failures
- Disassemble defective units and repair or replace worn or suspect parts
- Adjust valves, ratchets, seals, brake linings and other components
- Carry out preventative maintenance programs to ensure public safety.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: