Elevator mechanics assemble, install, maintain and repair freight and passenger elevators, escalators, moving walkways and other related equipment. They are employed by elevator construction and maintenance companies.
Each profession is associated with a combination of three initial letters corresponding to one of the six RIASEC profiles. Profile combinations are determined based on skills, fields of interest and certain personality traits.
- Read and interpret blueprints to determine layout of system components
- Perform preparatory construction work including steel work, wiring and piping
- Install elevators, escalators, moving walkways, dumbwaiters and related equipment according to specifications
- Connect car frames to counterweights with cables and assemble elevator cars
- Install and wire electric and electronic control system devices
- Install, test and adjust safety control devices
- Test operation of newly installed equipment
- Troubleshoot electrical or mechanical systems failures
- Disassemble defective units and repair or replace worn or suspect parts
- Adjust valves, ratchets, seals, brake linings and other components
- Carry out preventative maintenance programs to ensure public safety.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Montréal