Provide advice and information to clients on all aspects of job search and career planning. They also advise employers on human resources and employment issues.
You stand out by your empathy, your listening and your interpersonal skills. In addition to your human qualities, your analytical mind, your openness and your good judgment allow you to guide and advise others brilliantly.
Employment counsellors provide assistance and information to job seeker clients on all aspects of employment search and career planning. They also provide advice and information to employer clients regarding employment issues and human resources. Employment counsellors are employed by human resource departments of establishments, employment service organizations, consulting firms, correctional facilities and by federal and provincial governments. Supervisors of employment counsellors are included in this unit group.
- Interview clients to obtain employment history, educational background and career goals
- Identify barriers to employment and assist clients with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing résumés and preparing for job interviews
- Assess need for assistance such as rehabilitation, financial aid or further training and refer clients to the appropriate services
- Provide established workers with information and strategies for maintaining a job or moving within an organization, dealing with job dissatisfaction, making mid-career changes and adjusting to workplace transitions
- Collect labour market information for clients regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements and other occupational information
- Advise employers on human resource and other employment-related issues
- Provide consulting services to community groups and agencies, businesses, industry and other organizations involved in providing community-based career planning support or resources
- May administer and interpret tests designed to determine the interests, aptitudes and abilities of clients.
Guidance counselling or educational and vocatinal information
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: