Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations
Restaurant work is full of challenges. Be at the heart of the action taking counter orders, preparing simple dishes, clearing tables, washing up and helping to keep the restaurant clean.
Workers in this unit group include counter attendants, food preparers, kitchen helpers, food service helpers and dishwashers. Counter attendants and food preparers prepare, heat and finish cooking simple food items and serve customers at food counters. Kitchen helpers, food service helpers and dishwashers clear tables, clean kitchen areas, wash dishes, and perform various other activities to assist workers who prepare or serve food and beverages. They are employed by restaurants, cafes, hotels, fast food outlets, cafeterias, hospitals and other establishments.
Food counter attendants and food preparers
- Take customers' orders
- Clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs using manual and electric appliances
- Use deep fryer, grill, oven, dispensers and other equipment to prepare fast food items such as sandwiches, hamburgers, fries, salads, ice cream dishes, milkshakes and other beverages
- Portion, assemble, and wrap food or place it directly on plates for service to patrons, and package take-out food
- Use equipment to prepare hot beverages such as coffee and tea specialties
- Serve customers at counters or buffet tables
- Stock refrigerators and salad bars and keep records of the quantities of food used
- May receive payment for food items purchased.
- Wash and peel vegetables and fruit
- Wash work tables, cupboards and appliances
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers
- Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards and other storage areas
- Sweep and mop floors, and perform other duties to assist cook and kitchen staff.
Food service helpers
- Clear and clean tables and trays in eating establishments
- Bring clean dishes, flatware and other items to serving areas and set tables
- Replenish condiments and other supplies at tables and in serving areas
- Remove dishes before and after courses
- Perform other duties such as scraping and stacking dishes, carrying linen to and from laundry area and running errands.
- Wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots and pans using dishwasher or by hand
- Place dishes in storage area
- Scour pots and pans, and may clean and polish silverware.
No secondary, college or university-level programs of study are indexed for this trade or occupation.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal