Hairstylists and barbers
Cut hair, style, and provide related services at hair salons and barber shops, vocational schools, health care facilities, theatres, and film and television studios.
Very skillful with your hands, you are passionate about looks and trends. You enjoy being in contact with the public and your physical endurance allows you to work long hours on your feet. Your interpersonal skills are essential, as is your attention to detail and your creativity.
Hairstylists and barbers cut and style hair and perform related services. They are employed in hairstyling or hairdressing salons, barber shops, vocational schools, health care establishments and theatre, film and television establishments.
- Suggest hair style compatible with client's physical features or determine style from client's instructions and preferences
- Cut, trim, taper, curl, wave, perm and style hair
- Apply bleach, tints, dyes or rinses to colour, frost or streak hair
- Analyze hair and scalp condition and provide basic treatment or advice on beauty care treatments for scalp and hair
- Clean and style wigs and hair pieces
- Apply hair extensions
- May shampoo and rinse hair
- May perform receptionist duties and order supplies
- May judge in competitions
- May train or supervise other hairstylists, hairstylist apprentices and helpers.
- Cut and trim hair according to client's instructions or preferences
- Shave and trim beards and moustaches
- May shampoo hair and provide other hair treatment, such as waving, straightening and tinting and may also provide scalp conditioning massages
- May book appointments and order supplies
- May train and supervise other barbers and barber apprentices.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: