Industrial painters, coaters and metal finishing process operators
Operate various machines and equipment to apply paint, enamel, lacquer or other coatings, adding a decorative, protective or restorative layer.
Your strength and physical endurance are essential in this profession. Meticulous and skillful with your hands, you have a great ability to concentrate and you have good reflexes. At the heart of your work: attention to detail.
Industrial painters and coaters operate and tend machines or use brushes and spray equipment to apply paint, enamel, lacquer or other non-metallic protective and decorative coatings to surfaces of various products. Metal finishing process operators operate machines or equipment to deposit metallized substances on workpieces and surfaces to provide decorative, protective and restorative coatings. These workers are employed by manufacturing companies and custom refinishing, coating and plating shops.
Industrial painters and coaters
- Select appropriate paint or mix paints using automated paint mixing equipment according to a pre-determined formula
- Operate or tend equipment to clean, wash, strip, sand, remove corrosion, fill dents or otherwise prepare items for application of paint, lacquer or other protective or decorative coatings
- Operate or tend automated spray paint, dip or flow coating equipment or other mechanized painting or product coating application equipment
- Operate hand-held spray guns to spray paint or coat stationary items or items on moving conveyor system with protective or decorative coatings
- Paint small items and apply touch-ups using paint brushes
- Clean and maintain painting and coating, ventilation, compressed air and personal protective equipment
- May prepare and apply stencils, computer-generated decals or other decorative items on finished products.
Metal finishing process operators
- Prepare and mix metallizing solutions according to formulas or specifications
- Operate or tend equipment to clean, degrease, pickle and etch metal and non-metal surfaces to prepare workpieces with desired surface characteristics
- Tend automatic metal coating machines which convey objects through a series of cleaning, rinsing and plating solutions
- Operate and control electroplating equipment to coat metal and other workpieces
- Operate hot-dip metal plating equipment to galvanize metal and other workpieces
- Operate spray equipment to build up worn or damaged parts or to bond protective or decorative coatings on various objects
- Check proper thickness of plating using micrometers, calipers or other devices
- May operate equipment to polish metallic surfaces of products
- May tend ovens which cure metal coating.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Québec