Interior designers and interior decorators
Create and realize aesthetic, functional and safe interior design concepts for residential, commercial, cultural, institutional and industrial buildings.
Creative and daring, you have a good eye and you know layout styles and fashion trends well. Your sense of observation and your ability to imagine space in three dimensions are highlighted, as is your ability to listen and advise.
Interior designers and interior decorators conceptualize and produce aesthetic, functional and safe designs for interior spaces in residential, commercial, cultural, institutional and industrial buildings. They are employed by architectural and interior design firms, retail establishments, construction companies, hospitals, airlines, hotel and restaurant chains, and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
- Consult with clients to determine needs, preferences, safety requirements and purpose of space
- Develop detailed plans and 3-D models showing arrangement of walls, dividers, displays, lighting and other fixtures using computer-assisted design (CAD) software and graphics software
- Develop plans, elevations, cross sections and detailed drawings, and advise on selection of colours, finishes and materials, floor and wall coverings, window treatments, interior and exterior lighting, furniture and other items, taking into account ergonomic and occupational health standards
- Estimate costs and materials required and may advise on leasing, real estate and marketing
- Prepare plans and specifications for the final interior designs in accordance with current practices and codes
- Work in a multidisciplinary environment
- May direct site work crews and subcontractors.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: