Labourers in this unit group carry out a variety of general labouring and routine wood processing activities and assist pulp mill and papermaking machine operators. They are employed by pulp and paper, and paper converting companies, sawmills, planing mills, wood treatment plants, waferboard plants and other wood processing companies.
- Feed logs onto conveyor and into hopper of grinding machine and align logs manually, using crowbar, picaroon or other tools and equipment
- Load wood chips, pulpwood, sulphur and other processing materials onto conveyors or processing tanks, remove recyclable paper and pulp from pulp and papermaking machines and transport recyclable paper and pulp to plant processing machines and equipment using forklift or other powered equipment
- Sort, pile and transport lumber, veneer sheets, panelboards and similar wood products during various stages of wood processing, manually or with powered equipment
- Remove scrap lumber and wood chips for reprocessing using forklift or other powered equipment
- Feed conveyors, saws, drying machines and other equipment to process lumber, shingles, veneer, plywood and similar wood products
- Clean wood processing machines and equipment and work areas using shovels, hoses and other tools
- Assist other wood processing workers to operate, maintain and repair various machines and equipment and carry out other wood processing activities.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: