Lumber graders and other wood processing inspectors and graders
Check and classify lumber, shingles, veneer, particle board and other similar wood products to ensure the absence of defects and compliance with company requirements; classify products according to industry standards.
You have a marked interest in the forest environment. You are particularly meticulous and you have an extraordinary sense of observation. Your physical endurance and your dexterity will be sought.
Lumber graders and other wood processing inspectors and graders inspect and grade lumber, shingles, veneer, waferboard and similar wood products to identify defects, ensure conformance to company specifications and classify products according to industry standards. They are employed by sawmills, planing mills, wood treatment plants, waferboard plants and other wood processing companies.
- Examine lumber visually for knots, holes, splits and other defects and sort for further drying, trimming or remanufacturing
- Measure lumber using callipers, gauges and tape measures to ensure specified thickness, length and width
- Classify and sort lumber according to industry standards and stamp lumber to indicate grade, wood type, moisture level and other characteristics
- Tally lumber
- Complete and maintain reports.
Other wood processing inspectors and graders
- Inspect plywood panels, veneer sheets, panelboards, shingles and similar wood products visually for knots, holes, splits, straightness and other defects
- Mark defects and sort for repair or reprocessing
- Measure wood products to ensure conformance to specifications using standard measuring instruments
- Grade and label wood products according to quality standards
- Complete and maintain inspection and grading reports.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: