Mechanical engineers research, design and develop machinery and systems for heating, ventilating and air conditioning, power generation, transportation, processing and manufacturing. They also perform duties related to the evaluation, installation, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems. Mechanical engineers are employed by consulting firms, by power-generating utilities and in a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries, or they may be self-employed.
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of mechanisms, components and systems
- Plan and manage projects, and prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for machinery and systems
- Design power plants, machines, components, tools, fixtures and equipment
- Analyze dynamics and vibrations of mechanical systems and structures
- Supervise and inspect the installation, modification and commissioning of mechanical systems at construction sites or in industrial facilities
- Develop maintenance standards, schedules and programs and provide guidance to industrial maintenance crews
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for industrial construction or maintenance
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal