Mining engineers plan, design, organize and supervise the development of mines, mine facilities, systems and equipment; and prepare and supervise the extraction of metallic or non-metallic minerals and ores from underground or surface mines. Mining engineers are employed by mining companies, consulting engineering companies, manufacturers, government and in educational and research institutions.
- Conduct preliminary surveys and studies of ore, mineral or coal deposits to assess the economic and environmental feasibility of potential mining operations
- Determine the appropriate means of safely and efficiently mining deposits
- Determine and advise on appropriate drilling and blasting methods for mining, construction or demolition
- Design shafts, ventilation systems, mine services, haulage systems and supporting structure
- Design, develop and implement computer applications such as for mine design, mine modelling, mapping or for monitoring mine conditions
- Plan and design or select mining equipment and machinery and mineral treatment machinery and equipment in collaboration with other engineering specialists
- Plan, organize and supervise the development of mines and mine structures and the operation and maintenance of mines
- Prepare operations and project estimates, schedules and reports
- Implement and co-ordinate mine safety programs
- Supervise and co-ordinate the work of technicians, technologists, survey personnel, and other engineers and scientists.
Mining and metallurgical engineering
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec