Motor vehicle body repairers
Repair and restore damaged motor vehicle body parts and interior finishing and repaint body surfaces.
Your concern for the aesthetic appearance of objects, your ability to do precision work and your manual dexterity will make you an expert in restoration.
Motor vehicle body repairers repair and restore damaged motor vehicle body parts and interior finishing; repaint body surfaces; and repair and/or replace automotive glass. They are employed by automobile dealerships, automobile body repair shops and automobile appraisal centres. This unit group also includes metal repairers who repair defective automobile body parts and damage to the bodies of newly assembled cars. They are employed by motor vehicle manufacturers.
- Review damage report and estimates of repair cost and plan work to be performed
- Repair and replace front end components, body components, doors and frame and underbody components
- Hammer out dents, buckles and other defects using blocks and hammers
- Operate soldering equipment or use plastic filler to fill holes, dents and seams
- Remove damaged fenders, panels and grills using wrenches and cutting torch and bolt or weld replacement parts into place
- Straighten bent frames using frame and underbody pulling and anchoring equipment
- File, grind and sand repaired body surfaces using hand and power tools
- Mask and tape auto body surfaces in preparation for painting
- Mix paint, blend and match colors
- Apply primers and repaint surfaces using brush or spray guns
- Repair and replace glass components such as windshields, windows and sunroofs
- Repair or replace interior components, such as seat frame assembly, carpets and floorboard insulation
- Inspect repaired vehicles and test drive vehicles for proper handling.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal