Non-destructive testers and inspection technicians
Use non-destructive tests, tools and techniques to detect possible defects in a material.
Very methodical, you are a fan of problem solving. You handle computers and electronics with ease, and engineering and technology are your passion.
Non-destructive testers and inspection technicians operate radiographic, ultrasonic, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, eddy current and similar testing equipment to detect discontinuities in objects of various compositions and materials. They are employed by quality control, maintenance and safety departments of manufacturing, processing, transportation, energy and other companies and by private industrial inspection establishments.
- Set up and calibrate non-destructive testing equipment
- Conduct tests to ensure quality or detect discontinuities (defects) using ultrasonic, radiographic, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, eddy current and other non-destructive testing methods
- Establish techniques for proper examination of objects under inspection, ensuring strict adherence to safety regulations
- Interpret radiographs, cathode ray tube (CRT) or digital readouts, conductivity meters and visual indicators
- Apply testing criteria in accordance with applicable specifications or standards and evaluate results
- Organize and report test results
- May perform specialized inspections using acoustic emission, vibration analysis, infrared thermography and laser shearography testing methods
- May instruct and supervise trainees.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: