Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates assist nurses, hospital staff and physicians in the basic care of patients. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities for the elderly and other health care establishments.
- Answer call signals; supply and empty bed pans
- Bathe, dress and groom patients
- Serve meal trays, feed or assist in feeding of patients and assist patients with menu selection
- Weigh, lift, turn, and position patients
- Shave patients prior to operations
- Supervise patients' exercise routines, set up and provide leisure activities for patients, accompany patients on outside recreational activities and perform other duties related to patient care and comfort
- Take patients' blood pressure, temperature and pulse; report or record fluid intake and output; observe or monitor patients' status and document patient care on charts; administer first aid in emergency situations; collect specimens such as urine, faeces or sputum; administer suppositories, colonic irrigations and enemas and perform other procedures as directed by nursing and hospital staff
- Transport patients by wheelchair or stretcher for treatment or surgery
- Carry messages, reports, requisitions and specimens between departments
- Make beds and maintain patients' rooms
- Maintain inventory of supplies
- May perform maintenance tasks such as assisting with the set-up and maintenance of traction equipment, cleaning or sterilizing equipment, maintaining and repairing equipment, and assembling, setting-up and operating job-related equipment
- May transport patients between care facilities.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
(EMCA) emergency medical care attendant; aide, health care; aide, nursery - hospital; anesthetic attendant - hospital; attendant, nursing home; continuing care assistant; custody attendant (residential setting) (health and social services network); emergency medical care assistant; emergency medical care attendant (EMCA); emergency medical responder; emergency room aide; environmental assistant - medical; environmental support person - medical; first aid attendant; first aid attendant - emergency; geriatric aide; geriatric health care attendant; handicrafts or occupational therapy instructor (health and social services network); health care aide; health care assistant; hospice worker; hospital aide; hospital attendant; hospital orderly; hospital porter; hospital ward aide; hostel service aide - medical; institutional aide; long; term care aide; medical aide; medical attendant - patient transfer; medical orderly; neuropsychiatric aide; northern institution attendant (health and social services network); nurse aide; nursery aide - hospital; nursing assistant (non-registered); nursing attendant; nursing home attendant; nursing orderly; nursing services aide; operating room aide; orderly; patient care aide; patient care assistant; patient care associate; patient service aide; patient service assistant; patient service associate; patient service attendant; patient service worker; personal care aide - medical; personal care attendant - medical; personal care provider - medical; personal support aide - medical; psychiatric aide; registered care aide; residence attendant (health and social services network); resident care aide - medical; resident companion - medical; respite care aide; service assistant - medical; service associate - medical; service attendant - medical; special care aide - nursing; special care facility attendant; special care worker - medical; support services assistant - medical; surgical aide; unit aide - medical; unit and/or pavillion attendant (health and social services network); unit assistant - medical; unit support technician - medical; ward aide - medical.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal