Nurse-midwife and nurse practitioner
Examine patients, evaluate patients’ physical and mental health and provide health care.
Your generous heart, tolerance and community spirit are what it takes to become a nurse practitioner, physician assistant or nurse-midwife. Play a key role in helping meet the complex needs of patients and their families.
This unit group includes nurse practitioners, physician assistants and midwives who provide primary health care and treatment in conjunction with physicians and in collaboration with other health professionals. Nurse practitioners and physician assistants provide a range of health services to patients delivering preventive and continuous care toward the management of patients' health. Midwives provide full-course care to women and their babies during the pre- and post-natal period. Nurse practitioners are employed in community health centres, hospitals, clinics and rehabilitation centres. Physician assistants usually work in private practice, including group or team practices, hospitals and clinics. Midwives are employed in hospitals, clinics, birthing centres or in private practice.
- Provide primary, full-course, care to women and their babies during pregnancy, labour, birth and the post-natal period including monitoring the health of mother and baby
- Manage labour and spontaneous normal deliveries
- Care for, assess and monitor the health of newborns and refer infants to appropriate medical services as required
- Provide advice and guidance regarding care for newborns and young infants.
- Examine patients and take their medical histories and consult with physicians and other medical practitioners to evaluate patients' physical and mental health
- Order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
- Inoculate and vaccinate patients
- Advise patients and their families on health care including health promotion, disease, illness and accident prevention
- Collaborate with members of an interdisciplinary health team such as family physicians, therapists and nutritionists to plan, implement, co-ordinate and evaluate patient care in consultation with patients and their families.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
extended class registered nurse - nurse practitioner, licensed midwife, midwife, nurse practioner - adult care, nurse practitioner, nurse practitioner - anesthesia, nurse practitioner - cardiology, nurse practitioner - extended class, nurse practitioner - pediatrics, nurse practitioner - primary health care, nurse-midwife, physician assistant, primary health care nurse practitioner, registered midwife (RM), registered nurse - extended class (RN-EC).
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: