Optometrists examine eyes and diagnose ocular diseases and disorders. They prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses and recommend treatments such as exercises to correct vision problems or ocular disorders. They work in private practice, clinics and community health centres.
- Examine patients' eyes, conduct tests and use ophthalmoscopes, biomicroscopes and other specialized instruments to determine ocular health and visual efficiency
- Prescribe treatment (excluding surgery) to maintain, improve and correct vision and manage other ocular disorders
- Prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Educate and advise patients on contact lens use and care, ocular hygiene, preventive care and maintenance, lighting arrangements, working distances and other safety factors
- Refer patients to ophthalmologists or other physicians and surgeons for treatment of ocular or other diseases or conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration.
* Optometrists may specialize in fitting visual aids for people who are partially blind, fitting contact lenses or correcting special vision problems.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal