Prepare and apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces.
Like a creative and clever alchemist, you’ll mix and thin paint to obtain the desired colour and texture. You’ll skilfully apply the paint with your “can-do” attitude and steadfast manner.
Painters apply paint to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Each profession is associated with a combination of three initial letters corresponding to one of the six RIASEC profiles. Profile combinations are determined based on skills, fields of interest and certain personality traits.
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- May advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
Commercial and residential painting
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Montréal