Prepare legal documents and conduct research on behalf of lawyers or other professionals.
Your analytical and synthesis skills as well as your thoroughness make you an ally of choice. Your methodical spirit, your autonomy and your writing skills will also be abundantly applied.
Paralegals prepare legal documents and conduct research to assist lawyers or other professionals. Independent paralegals provide legal services to the public as allowed by government legislation, or provide paralegal services on contract to law firms or other establishments. Notaries public administer oaths, take affidavits, sign legal documents and perform other activities according to the scope of their practice. Trademark agents advise clients on intellectual property matters. Paralegals are employed by law firms, by record search companies and in legal departments throughout the public and private sectors. Independent paralegals are usually self-employed. Notaries public are employed by government and in the public and private sectors or they may be self-employed. Trademark agents are employed by law firms and legal departments throughout the public and private sectors, trademark development and search firms or they may be self-employed.
- Assist lawyers by interviewing clients, witnesses and other related parties, assembling documentary evidence, preparing trial briefs, and arranging for trials
- Assist lawyers in preparation for mediation and judicial dispute resolutions
- Prepare wills, real estate transactions and other legal documents, court reports and affidavits
- Research records, court files and other legal documents
- Draft legal correspondence and perform general office and clerical duties.
- Represent clients in small claims court and in other lower court proceedings, at tribunals and before administrative bodies
- Advise clients and take legal action on landlord and tenant matters, traffic violations, name changes and other issues within their jurisdictions.
- Administer oaths and take affidavits and depositions
- Witness and certify the validity of signatures on documents
- May draft contracts, prepare promissory notes and draw up wills, mortgages and other legal documents
- May arrange probates and administer the estates of deceased persons.
- Advise clients on intellectual property matters and represent clients before the Registrar of Trade-Marks on matters including prosecution of applications for registration of trademarks
- Advise on the registrability of trademarks, trademark licensing requirements, transfer of intellectual property and protection of existing trademark rights
- Represent clients at proceedings before the Trade Marks Opposition Board and in related proceedings
- May represent clients internationally in consultation with foreign associates and attorneys.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: