Come to the aid of people in need of emergency prehospital medical care. You’ll be in the heart of the action, responding to emergency calls and transporting injured or ill patients to medical facilities for critical care.
This unit group includes workers who administer pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further medical care. They are employed by private ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government departments and agencies, manufacturing firms, mining companies and other private sector establishments.
Each profession is associated with a combination of three initial letters corresponding to one of the six RIASEC profiles. Profile combinations are determined based on skills, fields of interest and certain personality traits.
- Assess extent of injuries or medical illnesses of trauma victims, patients with respiratory disease and stress, overdose and poisoning victims, industrial accident victims and other ill or injured individuals to determine emergency medical treatment
- Administer pre-hospital emergency care to patients such as oxygen therapy, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), spinal immobilization, bandaging and splinting
- Establish and maintain intravenous treatment (IV), apply adjunctive equipment for ventilation and circulation complications, administer medications and provide other advanced emergency treatment to patients
- Transport patients by air, land or water to hospital or other medical facility for further medical care
- Collaborate with ambulance dispatch centres, hospital staff, police, firefighters and family members to ensure relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered
- Document and record nature of injuries and illnesses and treatment provided
- Assist hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
- Maintain ambulances and emergency care equipment and supplies
- May train and supervise other workers in this unit group
- May assist with triage of emergency patients.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Prehospital emergency care
To register for Prehospital emergency care:
- Campus Notre-Dame-de-Foy (French only)
- Cégep de Baie-Comeau (French only)
- Cégep de Chicoutimi (French only)
- Cégep de l'Abitibi-Témiscamingue (French only)
- Cégep de l'Outaouais (French only)
- Cégep de Rivière-du-Loup (French only)
- Cégep de Sainte-Foy (French only)
- Cégep de Shawinigan (French only)
- Cégep de St-Hyacinthe (French only)
- John Abbott College (www.johnabbott.qc.ca/)
- Collège Ahuntsic (French only)
- Collège Ellis, campus de Drummondville (French only)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Montréal