Perfusionists provide technical support to patients undergoing cardiac surgery and patients requiring cardio-respiratory support. They are primarily employed in hospitals.
Each profession is associated with a combination of three initial letters corresponding to one of the six RIASEC profiles. Profile combinations are determined based on skills, fields of interest and certain personality traits.
- Assemble, maintain and operate extracorporeal circulation equipment, intra-aortic balloon pumps and other heart assist devices to support or temporarily replace patients' cardiopulmonary functions during open-heart surgery
- Administer blood products, drugs and other substances through heart-lung machines and other devices as directed by cardiac surgeons and anaesthetists to maintain adequate flow of oxygenated blood to all organs of the body
- Monitor vital signs to support and maintain patients' physiological functions and metabolic needs during cardiopulmonary surgery
- Participate in routine maintenance, calibration and inspection of all perfusion related equipment
- Supervise and train student clinical perfusionists and other clinical perfusionists.
Specialized Graduate Diploma (DESS) – Extracorporeal perfusion
To register for Specialized Graduate Diploma (DESS) – Extracorporeal perfusion : Université de Montréal
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Montréal