Pest controllers and fumigators
Inspect the interior and exterior of buildings to detect a vermin infestation; spray chemicals to kill harmful and destructive insects, rodents and other vermin; place traps to capture and remove animals.
You are not afraid of insects or vermin. On the contrary, you are curious and like to observe and analyze their behaviour. You have good judgment, and you are methodical, efficient and resourceful. Your good physical health and your ease of communication allow you to adapt to the most varied situations.
Pest controllers and fumigators inspect buildings and outside areas for pest infestation and spray chemical treatments to kill noxious and destructive insects, rodents and other pests or set cage traps to capture and remove animals. They are employed by pest control companies, or they may be self-employed.
- Inspect buildings and outside areas at regular intervals or at specific request of property owner to detect signs of infestation
- Determine type of treatment required and provide estimate of costs to clients
- Prepare and spray chemical mixture on infested areas using mechanical or electric sprayer to kill insects, rodents and other pests
- Fumigate households
- Place and set traps to capture and remove animals, such as skunks or raccoons
- Install animal control barriers such as needle strips, netting and other devices to keep animals off property
- Clean out areas that harbour pests using rakes, shovels, brooms or mops
- Advise clients on how to prevent pest infestation.
No secondary, college or university-level programs of study are indexed for this trade or occupation.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: