Work with a clinic, sports organization or rehabilitation centre to provide the necessary care to your patients so they can maintain, improve or regain their physical abilities, incorporating targeted exercises, massage and other forms of physical therapy.
Physiotherapists assess patients and plan and carry out individually designed treatment programs to maintain, improve or restore physical functioning, alleviate pain and prevent physical dysfunction in patients. Physiotherapists are employed in hospitals, clinics, industry, sports organizations, rehabilitation centres and extended care facilities, or they may work in private practice.
Each profession is associated with a combination of three initial letters corresponding to one of the six RIASEC profiles. Profile combinations are determined based on skills, fields of interest and certain personality traits.
- Assess patients' physical abilities through evaluative procedures such as functional ability tests
- Establish treatment goals with patients based on physical diagnoses
- Plan and implement programs of physiotherapy including therapeutic exercise, manipulations, massage, education, the use of electro-therapeutic and other mechanical equipment and hydro-therapy
- Evaluate effectiveness of treatment plans and modify accordingly
- Communicate with referring physician and other healthcare professionals regarding patients' problems, needs and progress
- Maintain clinical and statistical records and confer with other health care professionals
- Develop and implement health promotion programs for patients, staff and the community
- May conduct research in physiotherapy
- May provide consulting or education services.
*Physiotherapists may focus their practice in particular clinical areas such as neurology, oncology, rheumatology, orthopedics, obstetrics, pediatrics, geriatrics, in the treatment of patients with cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary disorders, burns or sports injuries or in the field of ergonomics.
To register for Physiotherapy:
- Université de Montréal
- Université de Sherbrooke
- Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (French only)
- Université Laval
- McGill University
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Montréal