Public works maintenance equipment operators
Drive vehicles and maintenance equipment for streets, roads and sewage systems, or trucks for collecting garbage and recyclable materials.
Skilled at handling large vehicles, you also have a good sense of direction. Your sense of responsibility allows you, in turn, to ensure the safety of your load, other road users and pedestrians.
This unit group includes workers who operate vehicles and equipment to maintain streets, highways and sewer systems and operate trucks to collect garbage and recyclable materials. This group also includes workers who clear vegetation close to power lines, workers who inspect the condition of utility poles and workers who locate underground utility lines and pipes. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal public works departments, private contractors under contract with government public works departments and private companies involved in the collection of refuse and recyclable materials.
- Operate garbage trucks to remove garbage and other refuse and dump loads at designated sites
- Operate street cleaning equipment such as street sweepers or other vehicles equipped with rotating brushes to remove sand, litter and trash
- Operate snowploughs or trucks fitted with plough blades to remove snow from streets, highways, parking lots and similar areas
- Operate sewer maintenance equipment such as rodders and sewer jet cleaners to maintain and repair sewer systems
- Operate trucks equipped with road sanding and other similar apparatus
- Operate chainsaws and other clearing equipment to fell trees and cut back vegetation close to power lines
- Operate equipment and hand tools to inspect and test utility poles for decay and deterioration
- Operate equipment and instruments to locate underground utility lines and pipes
- Check, lubricate, refuel and clean equipment and report any malfunctions to supervisor.
No secondary, college or university-level programs of study are indexed for this trade or occupation.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: