Railway conductors and brakemen
Coordinate and supervise the activities of the crew members of the passenger and freight trains. For their part, brakemen check the brakes and other systems and equipment before the train leaves, and assist the conductors in their activities en route.
Able to work under pressure, you like to be in control of the situation. Your sound and quick judgment will be appreciated, as will your independence and self-confidence. Responsible and reliable, you find it easy to work in a team.
Railway conductors co-ordinate and supervise the activities of passenger and freight train crew members. Brakemen check train brakes and other systems and equipment prior to train run, and assist railway conductors in activities en route. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of passenger and freight train crew members (except locomotive engineers) to ensure train operations are in accordance with schedule, train orders and code of operating rules
- Receive train orders and explain orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to give and receive train operation information
- Collect fares on board passenger trains, announce approaching train stops and answer passenger enquiries
- Prepare train run reports.
- Check train systems and equipment such as air conditioning and heating systems, brakes and brake hoses prior to train run
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to aid in the movement and operation of train
- Receive orders from traffic controllers, observe signals and track conditions and open and close track switches
- Set and release hand brakes and connect air brake hoses to couple and switch passenger or freight cars, making minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and wheel-bearing boxes as required
- Assist in collecting fares and helping passengers on and off train.
ATTESTATIONS OF COLLEGIAL STUDIES (ACS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: