Railway yard and track maintenance workers
Control the traffic of the train yard, harness and untie the train cars and perform other related tasks; operate machinery and equipment to lay, maintain and repair railways.
Your ease of driving maintenance machinery or operating large train cars makes you an ideal candidate. In good physical condition, you also have a keen sense of observation and a keen sense of responsibility.
Railway yard workers regulate yard traffic, couple and uncouple trains and perform related yard activities. Railway track maintenance workers operate machines and equipment to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- Operate control panel switches from railway yard tower to set traffic signals and to activate train switches that regulate railway traffic in railway yards
- Operate car retarders, turntables and track switches to align locomotives and cars as required for coupling, uncoupling or servicing
- Operate machines and equipment to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks, align tracks, transfer, spread, level and tamp ballast around ties and rails and to clear snow from tracks
- Switch cars according to instructions which indicate the location, disposition and number of cars
- Lubricate moving parts of railway cars and locomotives
- Clean and make minor repairs to machines and equipment
- Patrol assigned track sections to identify and report damaged or broken track
- Perform other track maintenance duties as directed.
No secondary, college or university-level programs of study are indexed for this trade or occupation.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Grande région de Montréal