Sawmill machine operators
Operate, monitor and control the automatic sawmill equipment used to cut logs into raw pieces of wood and to saw, split, cut and plan this first cut into pieces of different dimensions.
Your interest in mechanics and the industrial environment, as well as your meticulousness, allow you to operate various machines in complete safety. Your physical endurance and your ability to work under pressure will also make you stand out in this business.
Sawmill machine operators operate, monitor and control automated lumbermill equipment to saw timber logs into rough lumber; saw, trim and plane rough lumber into dressed lumber of various sizes; and saw or split shingles and shakes. They are employed in sawmills and planing mills.
- Operate front-end loaders and stationary deck cranes to feed logs into the sawmill
- Examine logs and rough lumber to determine size, condition, quality and other characteristics to decide best lumber cuts to carry out, or use automated equipment to convey logs through laser scanners which determine the most productive and profitable cutting patterns
- Operate automated lumbermill equipment from control rooms or equipment consoles to saw logs into rough lumber; saw, trim and plane rough lumber into dressed lumber of various sizes; and saw or split shingles and shakes
- Start conveyor system to move logs and lumber to and from saws
- Set up and adjust saw equipment and replace blades or bands using wrenches, gauges and other hand tools
- Operate equipment to sort and stack lumber by length and thickness, move stacks to storage areas or drying kilns, and feed lumber through planers
- Monitor movement of lumber and computer screens to ensure cuts are made according to specifications, and print production reports
- Clean and lubricate sawmill equipment.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec