Silviculture and forestry workers
Perform various functions related to reforestation, management, improvement and conservation of forests.
Passionate about nature and the forest, you like to work outdoors. Your dexterity will be a significant asset in handling the equipment used. Your sense of observation and your judgment will make you excel in this profession, as will your ability to perform various tasks.
Silviculture and forestry workers perform a variety of duties related to reforestation and to the management, improvement and conservation of forest lands. They are employed by logging companies, contractors and government services.
- Assess site, select seedlings and plant trees using manual planting tools in reforestation areas
- Operate power thinning saw to thin and space trees in reforestation areas
- Operate chain saw to thin young forest stands
- Control weeds and undergrowth in regenerating forest stands using manual tools and chemicals
- Complete firefighting reports and maintain firefighting equipment
- Dig trenches, cut trees, pump water on burning areas to fight forest fires under direction of fire suppression officer or forestry technician
- Operate and maintain a skidder, bulldozer or other prime mover to pull a variety of scarification or site preparation equipment over areas to be regenerated
- Perform other silviculture duties such as collecting seed cones, pruning trees, assisting in planting surveys and marking trees for subsequent operations.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: