Help individuals, couples, families and groups and communities develop the skills and resources they need to enhance social functioning.
You’re big-hearted. Your compassion, open mind and analytical skills will enable you to support individuals experiencing unique social realities and help them find solutions to their problems.
Social workers help individuals, couples, families, groups, communities and organizations develop the skills and resources they need to enhance social functioning and provide counselling, therapy and referral to other supportive social services. Social workers also respond to other social needs and issues such as unemployment, racism and poverty. They are employed by hospitals, school boards, social service agencies, child welfare organizations, correctional facilities, community agencies, employee assistance programs and Aboriginal band councils, or they may work in private practice.
- Interview clients individually, in families, or in groups, to assess their situation and problems and determine the types of services required
- Provide counsel and therapy to assist clients in developing skills to deal with and resolve their social and personal problems
- Plan programs of assistance for clients including referral to agencies that provide financial assistance, legal aid, housing, medical treatment and other services
- Investigate cases of child abuse or neglect and take authorized protective action when necessary
- Serve as members on interdisciplinary teams of professionals working with client groups
- Act as advocates for client groups in the community, lobby for solutions to problems directly affecting client groups and develop prevention and intervention programs to meet community needs
- Develop or advise on social policy legislation, conduct social research and assist in community development
- Provide mediation services and psychosocial assessments
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling and social programs
- May provide public education and consultation to professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
- May supervise other social workers.
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal