Supervisors in petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
Many of our resources require processing before they can be consumed or used by the general public. Supervise the workforce ensuring the proper treatment of water and the refining and processing of chemical products.
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Process Operators (9232), Power Engineers and Power Systems Operators (9241), Water and Waste Treatment Plant Operators (9243), Chemical Plant Machine Operators (9421) and Labourers in Chemical Products Processing and Utilities (9613). They are employed by petroleum and natural gas processing, pipeline and petrochemical companies, chemical and pharmaceutical companies, electric power utilities, water and waste treatment utilities and in a range of other industries and institutions.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate petroleum refineries, chemical plants, water and waste treatment plants and equipment, pipelines, heating plants and power stations and systems
- Identify, investigate, correct and document potential environmental and safety problems
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Provide information for maintenance plans to ensure that maintenance and production objectives are met
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports and develop and manage operating budget for area of responsibility
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of trades workers, labourers or other workers.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: