Tailors, dressmakers and furriers make, alter and repair tailored clothing, dresses, coats and other made-to-measure garments. Milliners make, alter and repair hats. This unit group also includes alterationists who fit, alter and repair garments. They are employed by clothing retailers, clothing alteration shops, dry cleaners and garment manufacturing companies or they may be self-employed.
- Tailors make made-to-measure garments, such as suits and coats according to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications and fit, design patterns to fit measurements, mark, cut and sew fabric, and may alter and repair garments as required.
- Dressmakers make women's garments, select and modify commercial patterns to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications and fit, mark, cut and sew fabric, and may alter and repair garments as required.
- Furriers make, alter, restyle and repair natural fur garments and accessories.
- Milliners design, lay out, cut, sew and press fabric, leather and other materials into hats and related accessories.
- Alterationists fit, alter and repair garments according to customers' requests by hand or using sewing machines.
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: