Telecommunications line and cable workers
Install, repair and maintain telecommunications lines and cables.
In great physical shape, you don’t have vertigo and you like to work outside, in the field. Precise and rigorous, you are skilled with your hands and always eager to learn new techniques to maintain, install or even repair all kinds of installations.
Telecommunications line and cable workers install, repair and maintain telecommunication lines and cables. They are employed by cable television companies and by telephone and other telecommunications services.
- Install, remove, maintain and repair aerial and underground telephone and other telecommunication transmission and distribution lines, cables and associated hardware
- Install (but do not repair or maintain) cable television lines and cables
- Splice and repair various types and sizes of telephone and other telecommunication cables including single line, coaxial and fibre optic
- Inspect and test telecommunication transmission lines and cables for transmission characteristics and to locate faults
- Analyze and record test results
- Climb and work aloft on poles, ladders or other support structures or work in confined spaces such as trenches, tunnels and crawl spaces
- Communicate with other workers to co-ordinate the preparation and completion of work assignments
- Assist in the erection and removal of telecommunication poles, towers and associated support structures
- May operate excavation machinery and other heavy equipment.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions: