Transport truck drivers operate heavy trucks to transport goods and materials over urban, interurban, provincial and international routes. They are employed by transportation, manufacturing, distribution and moving companies, and trucking employment service agencies, or they may be self-employed. This unit group also includes drivers of special purpose trucks and shunters who move trailers to and from loading docks within trucking yards or lots.
long-haul transport truck drivers
- Operate and drive primarily tractor-trailor, long-combination vehicle and straight-body trucks weighing over 4500 kg to transport goods and materials over long distances
- Plan trip logistics and obtain required documentation to transport goods
- Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection of vehicle systems, equipment and accessories such as tires, lights and turning signals, brakes and cold storage
- Ensure cargo is secured properly in accordance with safety requirements and follow safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods
- Obtain special permits and other documents required to transport cargo on international routes
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance travelled and fuel consumption
- Administer bills of lading and manually or electronically maintain log books
- Communicate with dispatcher, other drivers and customers using communication devices and on-board computers
- May perform emergency roadside repairs
- May drive as part of a two-person team or convoy
- May transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.
short-haul and local transport truck drivers
- Operate and drive primarily straight trucks to transport goods and materials mainly on local routes and short inter-urban routes
- Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection and oversee all aspects of vehicle such as condition of equipment, and loading and unloading of cargo
- May drive special purpose trucks such as tow trucks, dump trucks, hydrovac trucks or cement mixing trucks.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
More informationMore information on this job on IMT online
This trade is in highest demand in these regions:
- Côte-Nord et Nord-du-Québec
- Grande région de Québec
- Grande région de Montréal